Vista de Lisboa en se reprezenta o Palacio de Sª Magestade Fedilissima conforme estava na vespara d terumoto de 1755 [View of Lisbon with a representation of His Most Faithful Majesty's Palace as it was on the day before the 1755 earthquake]
This view of the Terreiro do Paço from the eastern side shows the Office of the Inspectorate in the foreground, part of the Customs House complex. Further back, we see the bulwark of São João and the Fountain of Apollo. Behind the Royal Palace, we can make out the roofs of the Patriachal Church and its clocktower, built according to a design by the Italian architect António Canevari (1681–1764).
On the hill in the background stands the São Francisco Convent, its façade facing east, and beside it the Mártires Church, with its west-facing frontage.
© Museu de Lisboa